Al Brown's Mushroom, Kumara & Bacon Fritters
PREP TIME: 10 Min
COOK TIME: 40 Min
- 700gm Meadows White Button or Swiss Brown Mushrooms (quartered)
- 500gms kumara (peeled, 1cm dice)
- 250gm bacon (small dice)
- 250gm onion (small dice)
- 2 Tbl garlic (finely diced)
- 3 Tbl fresh thyme (finely chopped)
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbl sweet chilli sauce
- Salt & fresh black pepper
- Cooking oil & butter
- In a saucepan add diced kumara, cover with salted cold water & put over high heat.
- Bring to boil & cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Strain & cool.
- Bring another saucepan to the heat, add a little cooking oil, when hot add bacon, onion, garlic & thyme.
- Cook for 10 minutes until the onion is soft before adding mushrooms.
- Cook for 20 minutes until cooking liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat, cool then place in a bowl with kumara.
- For the batter whisk the eggs and flour to a thick, smooth consistency.
- Pour over mushroom & kumara mix add chilli sauce and season.
- To cook heat up the griddle top of your BBQ to medium heat.
- Add a little oil & butter then spoon out the fritters.
- Cook until golden one side & turn. Keep warm until all are cooked.
Serving suggestion: Enjoy on their own with a small salad, salsa, poached eggs & Hollandaise.