Grilled Chicken and Mushroom Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing
PREP TIME: 15 Min
COOK TIME: 15 Min
- 250g white button mushrooms
- 400g chicken breast
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 2 punnets cherry tomatoes
- 100-150g mesclun or mixed salad leaves
- 50g-70g baby rocket leaves
- sesame seeds, to garnish
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup olive oil, light or extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pre-heat your grill to a medium-high heat.
- Slice your chicken horizontally into thin steaks. Combine in a bowl with 15ml olive oil, soy sauce and fresh pepper. Layout on an oven tray and grill each side for 3-4 minutes’ till cooked. While chicken is cooking, prepare your mushrooms.
- Lightly wipe mushrooms with a paper towel to remove any dirt. Slice them in half, place on an ovenproof tray and brush lightly with olive oil. Grill mushrooms for 2-3 minutes each side. (Alternatively cook on barbeque).
- While your chicken and mushrooms are cooling, prepare your dressing by whisking all dressing ingredients in a bowl, until well mixed through or by combining ingredients in a screw top jar, securing the lid and shaking to combine.
- Once the chicken has cooled (to reduce moisture loss), slice into thin strips.
- In a large bowl, combine all remaining salad ingredients with chicken, mushrooms, half of the dressing and mix gently.
- To serve, drizzle the remaining dressing over the salad, season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Sliding mushroom halves onto a skewer at step one makes it easier to cook without them moving around.
- Add more zest to your salad with some fresh orange (and help keep your avocado from going brown).
- Add a bit of heat by brushing your mushrooms with some chilli sauce before cooking so they absorb the flavour as they cook. Use a sauce to your taste/heat preference e.g. sweet chilli or Sriracha.
Add more textural interest and flavour to your salad with a sprinkle of your favourite seed mix.