Meat Free Shiitake Spaghetti Bolognese
PREP TIME: 10 Min
COOK TIME: 45 Min
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 200g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 250g portabello mushrooms, chopped
- half a cup chopped parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- half a cup red wine, optional
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can lentils, drained
- 250mls vegetable or mushroom stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- to serve, spaghetti, fresh basil and parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a heavy based saucepan, over a medium/low heat. Add the onions and salt and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add the celery and carrots and cook another 20 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the onions along with the mushrooms, parsley and the garlic and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Add the wine if using, bring to the boil, boil for 2 minutes the add the tomatoes, lentils and stock.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.