Meatfree Mushroom Meatballs
PREP TIME: 20 Min
COOK TIME: 35 Min
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 250g Meadow White Button or Small Portabello Mushrooms, very finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150g spinach leaves
- olive oil
- 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- 1 ½ cups fresh breadcrumbs (we used Vogels)
- 170g feta
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- big handful of basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup olives, pitted & halved
- parmesan cheese to serve
- 300g spaghetti
- Preheat oven to 190 ̊C.
- Prep breadcrumbs, dice onions and mushrooms and crush garlic.
- Wash spinach and place into a bowl. Cover with boiling water and stand for 1 minute or until wilted.
- Tip out the boiling water and pour over some cold water. Drain. Then using your hands, squeeze all the liquid from the spinach, until it’s the size of a small ball. Then finely chop.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Then add garlic and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms start to brown. Transfer to a large bowl and cool.
- In a large baking dish, pour in the chopped tomatoes and Italian herbs.
- Add spinach, breadcrumbs, crumbled feta, egg, parmesan cheese, chopped basil, salt and pepper to onion mushroom mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Roll mushroom mixture into golf-ball sized balls and place onto the tomato base. Sprinkle with extra cheese and olives.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden.
- While the balls are baking, cook the pasta as per the packet and serve on the side.
For a milder mushroom flavour, use white buttons. For an earthier, richer flavour, use portabellos large or small.