Mexican Mushroom and Chicken Tortilla Stack
PREP TIME: 15 Min
COOK TIME: 15 Min
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 450g Meadow Swiss Brown Mushrooms, chopped finely
- 1 capsicum, diced (we used ½ red, ½ yellow for added colour)
- 400g pre-cooked chicken, roughly cut into 4cm strips
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp neutral flavoured oil, such as canola
- 1 can chilli beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Salt & pepper
- 300g tasty cheese, grated
- 6 medium sized tortillas/soft tacos
- 1 avocado
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp of coriander leaves, finely chopped
- ½ lemon
- 8 cherry tomatoes, finely diced
- 75g sour cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 ̊C fan bake.
- Prep the first five ingredients.
- In a large pan over a medium heat, add the oil and butter, melt. Add the onions and garlic and cook for a minute, add mushrooms and capsicum, season well with salt and pepper and fry for around 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until well cooked.
- Add chicken, chilli beans and corn and cook for around 3 minutes until everything is hot and combined. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Line a baking dish or tray with baking paper and add a little oil to the top of the baking paper. Take one tortilla, add 1/5 mushroom mix, add 1/6 cheese, top with another tortilla and repeat until all tortillas are used. Top with cheese and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- While it’s baking, make guacamole by mashing the avocado in a bowl with a fork, add red onion, coriander, the juice of ½ a lemon and diced cherry tomatoes and season well with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Set aside.
- Once Tortilla Stack is cooked, drizzle top with sour cream and guacamole and serve. When serving, slice into wedges with a sharp knife.
- You can easily make this vegetarian, and even more nutritious, by removing the chicken and replacing with more mushrooms.
- If you blitz your mushrooms in the food processor, be careful not to over-do it or they'll turn to mush. Aim for a consistency similar to minced meat.