PREP TIME: 12 Min
COOK TIME: 33 Min
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 500g brown mushrooms, sliced
- 300g carnaroli or Arborio rice
- 150mls dry white wine
- 1 litre seasoned mushroom, vegetable or chicken stock, piping hot
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped, optional
- 25g cold butter
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium, heavy based saucepan over a medium heat and gently cook the onion for 5 minutes without browning.
- Add the mushrooms with a little salt and sauté 8 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, raise the heat and bring to the boil, continue boiling until it is absorbed.
- Turn down the heat a little and start adding the stock, half a cup at a time, stirring well with each addition until the stock is absorbed then adding the next half cup.
- This will take about 18 minutes and the risotto should be a little soupy when you are finished.
- If you run out of stock, add hot water.
- To finish the risotto, remove from the heat and stir in the butter, cheese and parsley if using and season with salt to taste.
To make red wine & chorizo risotto, replace the white wine with pinot noir and add 200g of crumbled fried fresh chorizo with the butter etc.