PREP TIME: 15 Min
COOK TIME: 30 Min
- 400g large or small portabello mushrooms
- 2 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp celery seeds (optional)
- 1 Tbsp mixed herbs
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp water
- 3 egg whites
- 1L oil, suitable for deep frying
- Slice larger portabello mushrooms into thirds and smaller portabello mushrooms into halves.
- To make the seasoned flour, take large bowl and add flour, paprika, celery seeds (if using), mixed herbs, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Stir in 3 tablespoons water to create some extra crunchy bits.
- Place egg whites into another bowl and beat with an electric whisk for about 1 minute until fluffy.
To dredge, pick up a piece of mushroom, coat in seasoned flour, shake off excess, then dip into the egg white. Place back into the seasoned flour and press seasoning into the mushroom so that the strip is well coated. Lay dredged strip on a plate. Repeat with all mushroom strips.
- Heat 1L oil in a medium saucepan. The oil is ready when a small clump of seasoned flour starts sizzling immediately. Deep fry the mushroom tenders in batches, 4 to 6 pieces at a time, flipping once, until golden brown (about for 5 mins). Remove tenders and transfer onto a paper towel lined plate. Repeat until all mushrooms are cooked. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce.