Blended Thai Larb
PREP TIME: 15 Min
COOK TIME: 15 Min
- 2 tablespoons Thai sticky or jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 500g 50/50 Meadow Mushrooms & mince blend
- 3 shallots or 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped lemon grass, tender part only
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon minced chilli or chilli flakes, optional
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup Thai basil or Italian basil leaves
- To serve: iceberg lettuce, carrot, cucumber, radish, limes and rice
- 1. To make the ground toasted rice, put the rice in a wok and toast over a low/ medium heat for about 10 minutes, tossing regularly until golden. Place in a mortar or spice grinder and grind to a powder.
- 2. Heat the oil in the wok over a high heat. Finely chop the mushrooms (or blitz in the blender) to replicate mince, then add to the wok with the mince, breaking up until dry and cooked through, it will take about 5 minutes.
- 3. Turn off the heat and stir in the shallots or onion, chilli, lemon grass, sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and add minced or chilli flakes to taste if you like a hot larb and toss well. Leave to cool to room temperature.
- 4. Prior to serving, add one tablespoon of the ground rice, the spring onion, coriander, mint and basil and toss well.
- 5. Serve with a selection of iceberg lettuce, carrot, cucumber, radish, extra lime and sticky or jasmine rice and sprinkle with remaining ground rice.
Alternate serving suggestion - Thai Noodle Salad
Toss the larb with a selection of fresh salad vegetables, and cooked and cooled rice noodles.