Blended Savoury Mince on Toast
PREP TIME: 15 Min
COOK TIME: 35 Min
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon flour, optional*
- 500g 50/50 Meadow Mushrooms & beef mince blend
- 1 cup tomato puree*
- 1 cup frozen peas, optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion, garlic, curry powder, celery, zucchini and carrot with a sprinkle of salt, over a medium heat for 5 minutes. If you are using beef stock instead of tomato puree, add the flour now and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- 2. Finely chop the mushrooms (or blitz in the blender) to replicate mince, then add to the pan with the mince, raise the heat a little, and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the tomato puree or beef stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes stirring in the peas in the last 5 minutes if using. Season to taste.
- 4. Serve on toast, rice or mash.
*You can substitute tomato puree with 2 teaspoons beef stock concentrate mixed with half a cup of water. Plus add 1 tablespoon of flour at the end of step 1 to thicken your mince.
Makes a great filling for easy mince pies in the toastie maker, with or without cheese.
Top with mash and cheese for a winter warming cottage pie