Blended Cottage Pie
PREP TIME: 30 Min
COOK TIME: 65 Min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon flour, optional*
- 500g 50/50 Meadow Mushrooms & beef mince blend
- 1 cup tomato puree*
- 1 cup frozen peas, optional
- 3-4 medium floury potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1/3 cup milk
- 25g butter
- 100g grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pre heat the oven to 180C.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer until cooked through.
- While the potatoes are cooking, start making the blended mince filling. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion, garlic, curry powder, celery, zucchini and carrot with a sprinkle of salt, over a medium heat for 5 minutes. If you are using beef stock instead of tomato puree, add the flour now and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Finely chop the mushrooms (or blitz in the blender) to replicate mince, then add to the pan with the mince, raise the heat a little, and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree or beef stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes stirring in the peas in the last 5 minutes if using. Season to taste.
- Drain potatoes and cover with a tea towel. Heat the milk and butter in the saucepan until the milk is hot. Mash the potatoes, then mix with the butter, milk and cheese and season with salt.
- Spoon the filling into an ovenproof dish.
- Spoon the mash over to cover the top. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbling.
*You can substitute tomato puree with 2 teaspoons beef stock concentrate mixed with half a cup of water. Plus add 1 tablespoon of flour at the end of step 1 to thicken your mince.
The blended savoury mince filling can also be pre-made the day before.