PREP TIME: 25 Min
COOK TIME: 75 Min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped or grated
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 500g 50/50 Meadow Mushrooms & beef mince blend
- 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 250 instant dried lasagne sheets
- 200g ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bechamel (white) sauce
- 2 tablespoon / 30g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup / 250ml cold milk
- 1. Heat the oven to 180C.
- 2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and cook the garlic, onions, carrot and celery with a sprinkle of salt, for 8 minutes until soft.
- 3. Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- 4. Finely chop the mushrooms (or blitz in the blender) to replicate mince, then add to the pan with the mince, raise the heat a little, and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- 5. Add the tomatoes, water and oregano and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- 6. Brush a 22cm x 30cm (about) baking dish with a little oil.
- 7. Spread the bottom with 1 third of the Bolognese Sauce then cover with sheets of lasagne. Arrange another third of the sauce on top with half the ricotta. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with sheets of lasagne and repeat the step again, finishing with a final sheet of lasagne.
- 8. To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined and cook for about 1 minute, stirring and without browning. Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add more milk depending on desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 9. Cover the lasagne with the béchamel sauce and sprinkle over the parmesan.
- 10. Bake for 30 minutes until golden and bubbling.