Blended Turkish Pide
PREP TIME: 15 Min
COOK TIME: 20 Min
- 1½ cups self-raising flour plus extra for kneading
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup / 250ml Greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced/ crushed chilli, optional
- 400g 50/50 Meadow Mushrooms and beef or lamb mince blend
- 1 capsicum, thinly sliced
- 150g crumbled feta or grated mozzarella
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped + extra for sprinkling
- sumac or smoked paprika to sprinkle
- 1. Heat the oven to 220oC fan bake.
- 2. To make the base, put the flour, salt and yoghurt into a bowl and mix together with a fork. Turn out onto a clean bench top and knead, adding extra flour as needed, for about 2 minutes to form a smooth, not sticky, dough.
- 3. For the topping, heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion, garlic and chilli with a sprinkle of salt, if using, for a few minutes. Finely chop the mushrooms (or blitz in the blender) to replicate mince, then add to the pan with the mince and cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- 4. Divide the dough into 2 or 4 pieces and roll/stretch out with more flour, to canoe-shaped flat breads and place on well-greased or lined baking trays. Roll over the edges a little to form a lip. Spread the filling over each dough base and top with the capsicum, then the feta or mozzarella.
- 5. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden and bubbling. Remove from oven and sprinkle with a little parsley and sumac or paprika.
- Drizzle over olive oil before serving if the topping has dried out during baking and for added flavour
- To reduce the prep time, you can use a store-bought pizza or pide base