Mexican Fiesta Blended Burger - by Marisha Tuffery
- 200g mix of Meadow White Button, Swiss Brown & Portabello Mushrooms
- 300g wagyu beef mince
- 2 small shallots, finely diced
- fresh coriander, chopped
- pumpkin pesto
- chilli, finely diced
- Pumpkin pesto
- pumpkin, roasted with skin and seeds
- garlic, roasted with skin
- coriander, ground
- cumin, ground
- pinch of chilli powder
- fresh coriander
- To serve
- 6 wild wheat burger buns
- jalapeños, sliced
- cheese, sliced
- green salad mix of cos lettuce, wild rocket, red cabbage, coriander leaves & micro greens tossed in avocado oil
- corn cob
- fresh tomato, finely chopped
- corn chips
- To make patties, finely dice mushrooms, enough to resemble mince. Combine with beef mince, shallots, coriander, a little chilli and a good scoop of pumpkin pesto plus extra seasoning.
- To make the pumpkin pesto, roast pumpkin with its skin and seeds, garlic with skin on, and tomato. Scrape out the pumpkin seeds and quickly toast in a hot pan with ground coriander, cumin and chilli powder. In a blender, combine the roasted veges, toasted pumpkin seeds with and fresh coriander, plus seasoning and blend into a purée.
- Wet your hands, to help with handling the mixture, and form into 4 large patties. In a hot pan, sear the patties, then carefully flip before adding chopped jalapeños and slices of cheese. Covered with lid to melt cheese and to ensure patties are cooked through.
- While patties are cooking, lightly toast buns and blanch the corn cob and slice off the kernels when done.
- Assemble burgers by first spreading a thin layer of pesto, topped with salad mix, then corn kernels. Next add patty and top with a good scoop of guacamole, finely chopped tomato (seeds removed) extra coriander leaves, micro greens and jalapeños. Serve with extra guacamole and jalapeño corn chips on the side.
- If the burger patty mix seems a little wet, play around with the quantities next time
- For extra crunch add a layer of corn chips when assembling your burger
- This pumpkin pesto also makes a great topping on nachos, quesadillas before grilling