Mushroom and Kumara Soup
PREP TIME: 20 Min
COOK TIME: 55 Min
- 400g Meadow Mushrooms, sliced
- 500g kumara, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbspn butter
- 3 Tbspn flour
- 6 Tbsp tomato puree
- 1L chicken stock
- 1 bayleaf
- 100ml cream
- ½ cup chives, finely chopped
- salt & ground black pepper
- Heat butter in a large saucepan, then once melted, add in onion, garlic and carrot and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms and sauté for 5-10 minutes, then season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Add in flour and cook over low heat stirring regularly for 2 minutes.
- Add in tomato puree and mix well. Then gradually add in chicken stock, stirring well after each addition.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, kumara and bay leaf. Simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before pureeing soup in a food processor or with a stick blender, then re-heat gently.
- Check seasoning. Stir though chopped chives and cream and serve.