Best Ever Mushroom Soup
PREP TIME: 10 Min
COOK TIME: 40 Min
- 2 tablespoons butter and/or olive oil
- 500g Portobello or button mushrooms, chopped
- half a teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, sliced
- half a lemon, zest and juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs thyme or oregano
- 250g floury potato (agria), peeled and cut in small cube
- 1 litre mushroom, vegetable or chicken stock
- 150mls cream, optional
- Heat the butter or oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the mushrooms and salt and cook for 10 minutes, stirring.
- Add the onion, celery, leek, lemon zest, garlic and thyme and cook, stirring for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the potato and stock and bring to the boil.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper (if you have a salty stock you wont need more).
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until the potato is tender.
- Remove the herb sprigs.
- Process to a blended soup, using a stick blender or in a blender or food processor.
- Stir through the cream if using for a creamy mushroom soup. Heat before serving.
Use Portobellos for an intense flavour or button if you like a milder soup.