Barley & Mushroom Salad
PREP TIME: 10 Min
COOK TIME: 30 Min
- 1 Tbl white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp brown mustard
- 3 Tbl olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 red onion olive oil
- 2 2/3 cups vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 250g raw mushrooms brown button, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teas
- For Vinaigrette: Whisk together vinegar, honey & mustard. Slowly add oil while whisking, until emulsified. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Peel onion half & coat with oil. Place on baking sheet & roast until tender (about 30 minutes). Chop coarsely.
- In a medium pot, bring stock to a boil & add barley. Reduce heat & simmer, covered, until barley is tender (35 to 40 minutes). Drain any excess liquid; then spread barley on a baking sheet to cool.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, cook mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of oil until tender. Mix sautéed mushrooms into cooled barley, along with onion, parsley, salt & vinaigrette.
- Adjust seasoning as desired & serve.
This is a great winter warmer!