Beef & mushroom broth with poached egg & toasted buckwheat
PREP TIME: 60 Min
COOK TIME: 335 Min
- 2kgs beef bones
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 celery stalks
- 500g portobello mushrooms
- 1 halved peeled onions
- 1 halved head of garlic
- a small bunch flat-leaf parsley stems
- 2 large sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- quarter of teaspoon black peppercorns
- Half a cup buckwheat
- 1 poached egg and quarter of a cup steamed spinach per person
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place the bones in a roasting pan and sprinkle liberally with salt and roast, turning occasionally, until 30 minutes browned.
- Cut carrots and celery into large pieces and add to pan along with mushrooms, onions and garlic and sprinkle with more salt.
- Roast, turning occasionally, until vegetables are brown, about 40 minutes more.
- Put all this into a large stockpot.
- Add half a cup of water to the roasting dish and stir, scraping up browned bits (you can heat this over an element to help).
- Add to the pot along with parsley, thyme, bay leaves, and black peppercorns and add cold water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 4 hours, occasionally skimming foam and fat from surface and adding water as needed.
- Strain then refrigerate.
- The fat will harden on the top and you can simply remove and discard. Freeze if liked.
- To toast the buckwheat, place in in a bowl and cover with water.
- Leave to soak for 1 hour then drain and rinse.
- Heat the oven to 150°C.
- Spread on a tray and bake for 25 minutes until dry and toasted, stirring once or twice.
- This can be stored in an airtight container.
- To serve. place the poached eggs and the spinach in the bottom of warmed bowl, ladle over a cup of broth and scatter with toasted buckwheat.
This broth recipe makes a lot, but its best to make a big batch and freeze for later use. You can use it as you would beef stock for risotto, soups etc. You will need 250mls of broth per person. To make a cheats version you can simmer roasted mushrooms for 30 minutes in good quality beef stock.