Mushrooms on toast with poached eggs, pickled shiitake and avocado
PREP TIME: 10 Min
COOK TIME: 9 Min
- 250ml white wine vinegar + 1 tablespoon
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 100g shiitake mushrooms
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 150g mushrooms such as portabello or button, sliced
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 avocado, halved and peeled
- 2-4 slices bread, toasted
- Put the vinegar, bay, peppercorns and sugar in a saucepan with 150ml water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the shiitake and thyme in a heatproof bowl and pour over the liquid. Cool then refrigerate overnight or for up to 5 days, stirring occasionally.
- When ready to serve, Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan and cook the mushrooms with a sprinkle of salt.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- Crack in the eggs and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well.
- Arrange the pan-fried mushrooms on the toast and top with the eggs. Add the avocado and top with pickled shiitake. Scatter with tamari seeds and smoked paprika, chilli sauce or pepper.
1 cup pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds
Quarter of a cup sesame and linseed seeds
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
Toast the seeds in a frying pan over a medium heat for about 4 minutes, stirring until just browning. Take off the heat and quickly stir through the tamari and tip onto a tray to cool. Store in an airtight container.