Mushroom Chicken & Leek Pies
PREP TIME: 20 Min
COOK TIME: 55 Min
- 125g butter
- 350g White or Swiss Brown button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 small chicken breast fillets
- 1 leek, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Salt & ground black pepper
- 4 sheets frozen ready rolled puffed pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Preheat oven 220°C. Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Once cooled, roughly chop.
- Add leek and mushrooms to frying pan and cook, stirring often for 4 minutes.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Combine the milk and stock and add gradually to the flour mixture, whisking constantly, until the sauce comes to the boil. Stir in mushrooms and chicken mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool completely.
- Grease 4 x 2-cup ovenproof ramekins. Spoon the chicken mixture into the ramekins.
- Using the top of ramekin as a guide, cut pastry discs 2cm larger than the ramekin from each pastry sheet. Brush the rim of the ramekin with water and top with pastry disc. Press to secure.
- Brush pastry with egg. Cut a small cross in the top of each pie and bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.
- Replace the chicken with 500g lean beef mince to make beef and mushroom pies.
- Make sure the filling is completely cold before placing the pastry on top. If the filling is warm you will end up with soft, soggy pastry.