Vietnamese Mushroom Salad
PREP TIME: 20 Min
- 1-2 chillies, sliced (leave the seeds in for a hotter dressing)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon palm or brown sugar
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 200g Swiss brown or white mushrooms, quartered
- 2 carrots, grated
- half a cucumber, grated, discard seeds before grating
- 5 spring onions, sliced
- 100g rice vermicelli
- half a cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- half a cup mint, (Vietnamese, garden or a mix)
- quarter of a cup Thai or purple basil leaves, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together the chillies, garlic, sugar, lime juice, vinegar and fish sauce to dissolve the sugar. Stir in the mushrooms and set aside for at least 10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients, turning the mushrooms occasionally in the dressing.
- Add the carrot, cucumber, spring onion and toss.
- Place the rice vermicelli in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 5 minutes or until soft then drain well and rinse with cold water.
- To serve, add the noodles, coriander, mint, Thai basil if using to the salad and toss well.
If you are looking for an alternative to fish sauce, Anna Jones has a great recipe if you scroll down this page to 'fish sauce'.