PREP TIME: 15 Min
COOK TIME: 10 Min
- 4 spring onions
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 x 6 cm pieces telegraph cucumber, deseeded
- 6 radishes
- Half a teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fermented chilli bean paste such as Toban Djan or Gochujang
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 250g brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Half a cup mayonnaise
- 3-4 tablespoons Sriracha
- 12 bao buns, steamed
- quarter of a cup salted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh Coriander leaves
- Cut the spring onions finely lengthways and place on a bowl. Cut the carrots, cucumber and radishes in to fine matchsticks (this is easiest done on a mandliine) and add to the onions along with the salt, sugar and 3 tablespoons of the vinegar. Mix well to combine and set aside to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a jug, combine the remaining one tablespoon vinegar with the soy sauce, chilli paste and stir to combine.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and sauté the shiitake, brown mushrooms and garlic for about 5 minutes then stir in the soy mix and bring to bubbling. Cook for a few minutes to thicken the sauce then stir in the sesame oil and remove from the heat.
- In a bowl combine the mayonnaise and sriracha to taste.
To serve, pile some shiitake into the steamed bao and top with the vegetables, a spoon of mayo, coriander and a sprinkle of peanuts.