Chicken and shiitake pie
PREP TIME: 30 Min
COOK TIME: 75 Min
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 6 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cream
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 200g shiitake, halved or quartered
- 250g button mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 250ml chicken stock
- Quarter of a cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons fresh or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, chopped
- 1 egg
- 400g savoury short pastry
- Heat the oven 170°C. Place the chicken pieces in a baking dish and sprinkle with half the salt and a grind of pepper then pour over the cream. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool then remove the chicken from the cream, reserving the cream and cutting the chicken into 2cm pieces.
- Raise the oven to 200°C.
- Melt 25g of the butter in a large frying/saucepan over a medium heat and cook the shiitake and button mushrooms with quarter of a teaspoon of salt for 5 minutes then set aside.
- Heat the remaining 75g butter and add the onions, leeks, celery and remaining quarter of a teaspoon salt and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring for 3 minutes then add the chicken stock and stir until smooth and then add the cream, wine and any chicken juices. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes until thick.
- Finally stir in the tarragon, mushrooms and chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place into a large pie dish (about 8 cups).
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl with a tablespoon of water. Brush the edges of the dish with a little egg.
- Roll out the pastry to fit the top of your dish and cover, pressing the edges down. Cut a steam vent in the top and brush with the egg. Bake for 35 minutes until golden.
If you prefer chicken breast to thigh, replace the thigh with 2 more breasts and likewise if you prefer thigh double the quantity.
Quick pastry recipe for those who prefer to DIY:
250g flour, sifted
half a teaspoon salt
125 g cold butter, cut into cubes
a third of a cup ice water
In a food processor combine the flour and salt then add the butter and process to an even crumb. Add the ice water and pulse to combine (don't over mix). Tip onto a floured surface and knead gently together to form a ball. Flatten to a disc and wrap in glad wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.