Tapas Crumbed Mushrooms With Romesco Aioli
PREP TIME: 15 Min
COOK TIME: 10 Min
- Romesco Aioli
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup rice bran oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ mild red chilli, finely chopped
- 4 small marinated red peppers from a jar or deli
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup manchego cheese (or parmesan), grated
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp each sea salt & pepper
- 2 eggs
- 500g Meadows Swiss Brown Mushrooms, halved
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- For the aioli process the garlic, salt and egg yolks in the small bowl of a food processor until well combined. With the motor running slowly add oil through the feed tube, processing to form a thick mayonnaise. Add the lemon juice, chilli and peppers and blitz quickly to chop and combine. Cover and refrigerate until required.
- On a plate combine the breadcrumbs, manchego, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper.
- In a separate shallow bowl whisk the eggs.
- Dip each mushroom in the egg mixture, then fully coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frypan over a medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms in batches until golden brown, turning half way through (about 5 minutes). Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve warm as part of a tapas platter with your favourite combination of parma ham, chorizo, baby peppers, olives, just-cooked asparagus, hard cheese and crusty bread.