A basic mushroom sauce
PREP TIME: 5 Min
COOK TIME: 10 Min
- 250g sliced or quartered mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon of butter/olive oil
- Cream or Sour cream
- Once you’ve sautéed your mushrooms in the butter or olive oil, simply stir through 150mls cream, sour cream or crème fraiche and heat gently before serving. Keep an eye on it, you don't want it to boil.
- Depending on the consistency you're after, add more or less cream.
- Serve on top of or stirred through pasta or noodles, or on top of toast, steak or chicken
- For more flavour - add your favourite herbs or one or two garlic cloves when sautéing the mushrooms, before adding the cream
- For a Dairy free or Vegan option - sprinkle some flour over the sautéed mushrooms and stir through, cooking off the flour for about 2 minutes. Stir in cold stock (veggie, chicken, beef, mushroom) and stir until smooth and thickened. Basic ratio would be 250g mushrooms, 2 tablespoon butter or olive oil, 1 heaped tablespoon flour, 200ml-250ml stock to give a medium thickness sauce. It is best to start with half the liquid amount and add more to reach your desired consistency.