A basic mushroom sauce
PREP TIME: 5 Min
COOK TIME: 10 Min
- 250g sliced or quartered mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon of butter/olive oil
- 150ml cream, sour cream or crème fraiche
- Heat butter or oil in a pan over a medium to high heat, then saute your mushrooms until all the water has evaporated and they are nicely caramelised.
- Turn the heat down and stir through cream, sour cream or crème fraiche. Heat gently before serving. Keep an eye on it, you don't want it to boil.
- Depending on the consistency you're after, add more or less cream.
- Serve on top of or stirred through pasta or noodles, or on top of toast, steak or chicken
- For more flavour - add your favourite herbs or one or two garlic cloves when sautéing the mushrooms, before adding the cream
- For a Dairy free or Vegan option - sprinkle some flour over the sautéed mushrooms and stir through, cooking off the flour for about 2 minutes. Stir in cold stock (veggie, chicken, beef, mushroom) and stir until smooth and thickened. Basic ratio would be 250g mushrooms, 2 tablespoon butter or olive oil, 1 heaped tablespoon flour, 200ml-250ml stock to give a medium thickness sauce. It is best to start with half the liquid amount and add more to reach your desired consistency.