Cheesy Risotto Stuffed Portabello with Pumpkin & barley
PREP TIME: 15 Min
COOK TIME: 50 Min
- 2 Tbsp olive oil + extra for frying
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 300g pearl barley
- 150mls white wine
- 500g pumpkin, cut in bite sized pieces
- 750mls vegetable or chicken stock, boiling
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated + extra to serve
- 8 small portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sage leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and bay leaf and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the barley and add to the onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and bring to the boil, boil until it is almost evaporated then add the pumpkin and hot stock and season with salt and pepper (if your stock is salty you will not need extra).
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Cover, remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking tray and sprinkle with salt and olive oil.
- Bake for 5 minutes then remove from the oven and pile on the risotto.
- Bake a further 10 minutes.
- While they bake, heat some oil on a frying pan and fry the sage leaves for about 20 seconds until bright green and crisp and drain on a paper towel.
- Stand back when they hit the oil as they splatter.
Serve the mushrooms scattered with the sage and more grated parmesan.
Recipe also works with large portabellos.