Mushroom & Cheese Katsu Burger
PREP TIME: 25 Min
COOK TIME: 4 Min
- 1 Red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 150g firm mozzarella cheese
- 4 large large Portobello mushrooms, stalks trimmed
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- half a cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- half teaspoon curry powder or 2 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- plain oil for shallow frying
- To serve, 4 toasted burger buns
- To make the red onion pickle, stir together the onion, sugar, vinegar and salt and leave for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut the cheese into 4 pieces about half a cm thick to fit inside the mushrooms. Spread each mushroom with a tablespoon of the cream cheese on the stalk side and top with some cheese, pressing down so the cream cheese helps the cheese stick to the mushroom.
- Place the flour, egg and panko onto three separate plates. Season the flour with salt and pepper.
- Dip each mushroom first in flour then egg then panko, trying to keep the cheese inside and sealed with the crumb (if you have left over egg and crumb, you can double dip the cheese side of the mushroom). Set aside until ready to cook.
- In a bowl whisk together the mayonnaise and curry powder or siracha sauce then stir in the lettuce.
- To serve, heat about 3 cm of oil in the bottom of a frying pan (you can use less but you wont get and all over golden) over a medium heat. Fry for about 2 minutes each side until golden.
- Stack onto burger buns with the salad and pickles.