Mushroom, quinoa & bean burgers with slaw & miso mayo
PREP TIME: 10 Min
COOK TIME: 35 Min
- 75g/ a third of a cup quinoa, rinsed
- 400g can butter beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 egg, beaten
- quarter of a cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 6- 8 large Portobello mushrooms
- quarter of a cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- to serve: 6-8 warm burger buns and finely sliced cabbage, carrot, red onion
- You want to slightly overcook the quinoa for these burgers so it is nice and sticky.
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to the boil.
- Rinse the quinoa in a sieve under cold water then add to the boiling water.
- Cook for 15 minutes until very soft. Drain and cool.
- Place the beans in a food processor and process to a thick puree, adding a little oil to help mix.
- Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in the frying pan and add the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add to the beans along with the quinoa, egg, parsley and season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Lay the mushrooms stalk side up and trim the stalk.
- Divide the bean mixture between the mushrooms and spread over each, patting the mixture on firmly to fully cover the mushroom.
- Chill 30 minutes or until needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, miso and lemon juice. Set aside.
- To serve, heat the grill or barbecue to hot.
- Brush the mushroom patties with the remaining oil and grill mushroom up for about 4 minutes then carefully flip and cook a further 6-8 minutes until the mushroom is soft.
- Place on a warmed bun with plenty of salad, dressed with miso mayo.